18 October 2010

Professional Career Development

As I was sitting in my professional career development class the professor was lecturing about the importance of creating a positive online identity.  I began thinking, what footprint do we leave online and how does that reflect upon us as individuals? 
Did you know that many prospective employers screen their potential employees by “Google-ing” their names? Most everyone has a Facebook or Myspace account and this is one major resource that potential employers can use to gauge employees.
This led me to wonder, is it fair for employers to judge us based upon our ranting Facebook status updates, or the pictures we post while wearing revealing clothes or out drinking with friends? And the answer that I came up with was a resounding YES! When we chose to make information public then we agree to allow people to judge us based upon what information we provide.
I decided that in an effort to begin creating my positive online identity I would start writing a blog.  So, with very little agenda here goes…enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment